Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Bird Watching - the House Finch

 

House Finch
Carpodacus mexicanus
I stopped to watch a flock of bird feeding on the white berries of the snowberry bushes that are in our backyard garden. The birds stayed together in a flock perching on on the shrubs there. 

The red-streaked plumage on the breast and heads of the mature males is what caught my eye, bright flashes of colour on the rust branches that swayed a bit as the birds lit on them.  At first I only saw one -- then three, seven, nine -- so well camouflaged.

During Covid-19 I am learning to be mindful of what is around me.  I suspect I will try to gather more names of the birds who pause in our backyard, my nod to increased sociability with the birds.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.