Friday, December 4, 2020

Wyona's Thoughts on Vernetta Reed

Thank you Joanne, Susie and others for the picstures of Vernetta.

They are lovely.,. I was happy to facilitate facetime for Moiya and Arta so they could be at the grave site.

An experience I had with Vernetta:

Vernetta and her little family were at Shuswap.

My 2 1/2 month old daughter had meningitis at Shuswap and was transported to Penticton where there were specialized services and Tonia remained for 2 weeks in the hospital.

When the Reeds came to Shuswap in the yellow bus that summer, I asked Vernetta how she managed to cope with the loss of her 3 children.

She told me she would throw herself on the bed and weep but she had to learn to manage her grief.

So she willed herself not to think about it and put something else in her mind in place of that.

I lost immediate contact with your family when Reeds moved to the south of Calgary which was a different world.

Greg and I also moved away from Calgary for 37 years.

However, when my children who were born in the seventies attended university, it was the University of Calgary which they went to.

So they married in Calgary and Vernetta and Loran attended receptions for them.

That meant a lot to me to have them come to the receptions and wedding.

On one of my visits to Vernetta, (I was with Arta) we asked her about the lawsuit that she and Lorne endured.

Vernetta recounted what had happened and we listened with deep intent since we are involved in family litigation over Shuswap.

I loved my visits to Renoir and also to Father Lacombe Center.

I was sad when Covid hit and I could not go anymore.

I think I remember Susy camping on the beach at Shuswap with her family.

I do remember Arta talking about the Gallops.

Vernetta's funeral was exceptional, just as the speakers were at her funeral.

Arta captured a lot of it in her blog.

My life has been enriched by knowing Vernetta.

Even though I knew I was probably not invited to the graveside, I had to go for myself.

This was one time when it was easier to get forgiveness than permission. 

Vernetta's smile was so captivating and charming. 

She only saw the best in everyone.

Love,

Wyona

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.