Thursday, December 31, 2020

QR and GOM

Time for me to say goodbye to the year.

What a year it was! Lots of new learnings for me, including so many acronyms I would hear that make me stop and think, “Hey, I don’t even know what that means.”

Lately I was hearing Rebecca and Duncan talk about the QR code.

I had no idea that the small box filled with black and white dots had a name or was an important was to identify products.

So off to google I went to find out the history of that code, and of course to marvel at the magic of human intelligence and how a small idea from someone can make such an impact on packaging and identifying material. I tried to find out what the initials Q and R stood for, but I had to give up that idea and just accept that a QR code is important, and to know why and where it sits on a product.

... guessometer coffee cup ...
My second acronym I learned a couple of days ago: GOM.

I thought Steve was teasing me when he said that it meant guess-o-meter, but again, fact always trumps fiction in the miracle of life’s adventures with words.

What a concept – a good guess at how many more miles an electric car will go on the energy the battery has at the moment.

So here is my goodbye to 2020, a little ahead of the clock.

I may watch that ball fall in New York, or I may watch the old year go out in a good Canadian way, with some concert on Ottawa.

Either way, I am looking forward to 2021.

Thank you, dear reader, for staying with me through 2020.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.