Sunday, December 6, 2020

Heritage Chocolates

My friend, Ria Meronek, asked me about the history of the chocolate recipes I have been blogging.  

Elsewhere I have written small bits of what I know about that history.  There is a bigger story here I want to chase.

In the meantime,  I found the website of the granddaughter of Melba McMullen, who helped write the history of hand dipped chocolates in Alberta.

On this point the owner of Heritage Chocolates says about dipping chocolates:
I learned from my mother, Glenda, my Aunt DeNai and Uncle Brent, who learned from their mother, Melba, who learned from her mother Laura, who learned from her mother Amanda who was living in Utah in 1892 when the sugar beet farmers, dairy farmers and a someone with a connection to chocolate came together to make the world a much better place. My Grandma Melba brought notoriety when in the 1950's she taught her fellow women congregants in Alberta, Canada chocolate making in order to raise the funds for a new church building. She continued teaching the craft freely and went on to make thousands of more pounds of hand dipped chocolates, nearly to the end of her life at 96 years old. 
The tradition is now carried on through her more than 150 posterity throughout Canada and the United States 

Dear reader, f you have a few minutes tonight enjoy the pictures on the website: the shining nest of chocolate into which I wanted to lay my hand, and the pictures of the different kinds of chocolates you can buy from her or stay with me and learn make.

See: Heritage Chocolates

Photo Credit for pics in this blog-- Heritage Chocolates

Arta


1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering with memories of childhood and chocolates.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.