Thursday, December 3, 2020

Moiya's Reminiscences After Vernetta's Funeral

Photos in this post: are from Merrilee Reed
David set the TV up so that we could watch Vernetta's funeral on our 55” big screen TV with surround sound.

Arta came over to our house to watch.

Wyona and Greg were participating at their home in Calgary.

After the service was over, Wyona called us to say that they really wanted to go over to the dedication of the grave.

When they got there, Wyona is the one who facetimed us from her car at the graveside.

That is how we got to participate in that, watching the families one by one, pay their last respects.

Really, so sweet to see the children taking a flower from the arrangement on Vernetta’s coffin.

We were not able to hear the prayer but were able to solemnly participate.

David and I will be laid to rest in that same area someday alongside Vernetta and other family members. 

I can still hear Vernetta’s kind voice and her laughter today. What a wonderful woman! What a wonderful legacy she is to all who know her.

Joanne won't probably remember that way back when we used to go to Sunday School in the morning and then back for Sacrament Meeting in the evening.

Before Joanne was born,  I would get to have Loretta and Kathy come over to eat with us in between the two meetings. Sometimes I would go over to their house. We were best friends. I think of them often.

I have always considered the Reed Family as my own.

I was already down in Cardston, staying with my Aunt Lenore on that weekend of the family reunion when the fateful accident occurred, taking their lives, their brother's life and the life of my sister, Rita.

My Aunt Lenore took me over to Raymond for the Pilling Reunion, for the Reeds had been on their way there..

There was a talent show that day nd I sang “A Poor Way Faring Man of Grief”.

Everyone there was crying as I sang my song.

I was only 5 years old. (I can’t believe that I knew that song by heart at that young of an age when I think of it now). 

I did love to sing.

That! … is when I knew I was a really good singer.Otherwise, why would everyone be so touched by my song. 

I got a ride back go Calgary with a “Wooley” family.

The next day must have been a Sunday.

We were doing dishes after our dinner. I was asked to wipe the dishes. I remember wiping them and asking (probably in a sassy way), why Rita didn’t have to help do the dishes.

My loving father took me by the hand and asked me to come with him to his bedroom. That is when he told me about the accident and that Rita was gone. 


 I’ll never forget hearing that not only was Rita gone but that Loretta, Katherine & Brian were gone too.

Actually, one of the girls had been or was still in critical condition.

My dad then told me I could ask any questions I wanted to. I had many questions.

Now I know that no one told me about the accident at the family reunion.

My parents must have wanted to be the one to tell their five year old about this tragic loss.

So … I now know that I wasn’t that prodigy of “Shirley Temple” that I thought I was, being able to sing so well that other's cried.

All those people at the family reunion were already in mourning.

That is why they were weeping during my song!

They all knew of the accident that I didn’t know about yet.

When David and I got married, we went to church the very next day, in the Willow Park Ward, where we had our first home. Lorne Reed was our Bishop.

Vernetta was the Relief Society President.

What joy it was to us to be in that ward where your parents made us feel so comfortable.

Then later in my life, I found out you, Joanne,  had married Frazer who was David’s cousins, son. Joy! Joy! Joy!

Later, we were in the 17th ward with Ken and Kara.

Oh … we love all of you so much. 

The service was so special and truly a walk down memory lane.

Moiya


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.