Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Virtual Ward Party

Merry Christmas from Arta
- the picture before I was black and blue...
Being a one-armed typist means there is not much space in my life to do blogging.

Still, I want to keep track of December events, like the Virtual Ward Christmas Party, held Friday December 11.

People were invited to contribute a 15 second (or less) video for the main event, a Christmas Wish from one to all in the ward. I didn’t get a chance to send my 15 seconds.

I wanted to send a 15 second pan-shot of the front of my shoulder and the front of my elbow, which is mostly a mixture of bruises: turquoise, royal blue and some black streaking.

I thought instead of wishing people a Merry Christmas, I could have an Elvis song playing in the background, perhaps “Blue Christmas”.

That wasn’t an idea that I could bring to fruition. Rebecca and Bonnie were unwilling to do the work necessary to pull this one off, so all I could do was go to the party, and listen to others. 

Ashley Truba Anderson slipped over to Wyona’s on December 7 to take the video for the Bates household.  
She told Wyona she had been to her house before, which was a surprise to Wyona. 

"Yes," Ashley said, "during my Young Adult days, I came over here to a fireside hosted by Tonia."

Zoe had a small cake that celebrated both her 36th birthday, and the feast of St. Nicholas, which occur on the same day.

I liked seeing Zoe and her cake at the ward party. 

As well, the videographer of the watd party included “out-takes”, which were hysterical. 

One family with 5 children had a pre-teen run from the back of the room and leap airplane like into the arms rest of the family. 

When that portion of the party was over, Santa Claus arrived, looked into the camera, and told all the children that he had left gifts for each of them in their mailboxes. 

They were to check to see if he got the right houses.

There were a few seconds of silence as children headed to their front doors, and then there was screaming aplenty from all the houses with children, and children returned to the zoom meeting holding up their presents, ripping off the wrapping to see what was there, and then showing others that they had received something they had been wanting. 

There couldn’t have been a better ending to the Bow Valley Ward Zoom Christmas Party.

One of my favourite outtakes involved Marge and Doral Paxman. We had seen the in-take, which was a lovely Merry Christmas greeting from the Paxmans.

The outtake was Doral Paxman standing at the door of the house, and Marge coaching him. He was asking “What am I supposed to say?” 

 “Merry Christmas”, she would answer.

He would ask again, “But what am I supposed to say?”, and she would reply, louder, “Merry Christmas!”. 

I don’t know the Paxman’s that well, but on one other occasion, I have seen Marge’s sense of humour, and the outtake captured it fully.

When I described the scene to Bonnie and Rebecca, they were reminded of this scene from Taxi. 

Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPz1prPrzs if you wish to see the Taxi version

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I PU need to use the technology that you speak all of blog post into maybe your phone or computer microphone and then make the small adjustment for autocorrect and grammar. Would make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that technology and probably have it already and don't know where to find it or how to use it. I do love it on my phone and try to use it ... and make the corrections, since not doing so can confound the intention of the note.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.