Friday, November 13, 2015

Lekwungen and WSANEC territory


The panelists at the Fractured Land documentary can all remember to begin their talks buy acknowledging that they are standing on unceded Lekwungen and WSANEC land of the Coastal and Strait Salish people.

That is because we are often hanging out at the University of Victoria or going down to Cadboro Bay.

I thought I would try to acknowledge that I too am enjoying this labnd.  I sat down to eat supper tonight and tried to give my thanks, but still stumble on the words Lekwungen and WSANEC, even though I have tried to spell them a number of times.

Usually if I write something enough times, I can get the new spelling into my fingers.  It will come.

I am enjoying the daily walks around the crescents and down the avenues.  The grass is green.  The pavement is dry.  And the air is so fresh and clean -- the humidity is high.

At the movie someone was mentioning that it is damp now and not quite so light.  I do love the high Alberta sky.  But I am not looking up that much for the joy of that clean warm air is still with me.

All praise to the Lekwungen and WSANEC territory.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.