Saturday, February 25, 2017

On losing one's voice

Kristine Opolais in the title role of Dvořák’s “Rusalka.” 
Photo by Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera.
Today is the first showing of the Met's Rusalka, which comes to our theatre via satelite.

I enjoyed reading the Opera Review in My Theatre Guide.

Apparently it is 3 hours, 40 minutes, running time, including 2 intermissions.

I offer you a small paragraph from Jacqiueline Claire's review:
Fairy tales often come to us from old legends and folklore and are drenched with psychological symbols. Many questions arise when watching this “childhood” story through the adult lens. What happens to women who give up their “voices” to be palatable to their men? If you turn away from all your essence or true nature, can you ever return to that oasis again? You could read it as a great feminist piece that warns against the dangers of self-abnegation. I did. Perhaps Ježibaba is not a witch, but a wise crone showing the folly of trading your uniqueness for a mirage.
When I look back over the years and think of all of the operas I have seen since the Met HD Live performances started, I know that I could not have imagined that I would hear so many operas.  Now it is time to get ready and catch my ride.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. The costuming looks amazing. I like Claire's review. My best method these days for drinking from the oasis of authenticity is to allow myself a quiet moment to think. I easily get swept away into the hustle and bustle of life, and spend time studying the perceptions of others rather than taking the time to determine my own thinking on a matter. The minor car accident I was in yesterday has forced me to slow down, at least for now.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.