Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Salmon Arm 28th Annual Film Festival


The Salmar Classic Theatre hosts the Salmon Arm Film Festival. They run a concurrent festival called The Cans Festival – just a spot inside the door where you can drop off cans for the Second Harvest Food Bank if you wish. Moiya, Bonnie, Wyona and I teamed up, in groups of 3 or 4 and we took in all of othe shows we could: The Violin Teacher, Chevalier, Miss Sloan, I, Daniel Blake, Koneline, A Quiet Passion, Old Stone, Elle, and tonight we are off to see The Carer.

I didn’t know that Wyona was such a film buff, even though she told me that in the past, when she lived in Ottawa, she would often just do a double feature on her own.

Moiya likes film as well, so we couldn’t have been happier – eating out between shows, and making sure we were there on time.

The only show that was packed was Koneline: Our Beautiful Land. I wouldn’t have guessed that a cinematic celebration of northwestern British Columbia would pack the people in The movie is set deep in the traditional territory of the Tahitan First Nations but also shows those who mine the land and those settlers who hunt on the land for profit.

Our holiday to B.C. just happened to coincide with the festival. I hope we make it an annual tradition. I love this film group. They bring in Friday night films all through the year and they do this 10 day even which is right over the top for film fun.

Biopic of Emily Dickenson
Everyone will have their film favourite.

I think mine was A Quiet Passion, the story of the American poet Emily Dickinson.
 “Because I could not stop for Death, He kindly stopped for me: The carriage held but just ourselves And Immortality.”

 Words like these were highlights of poetry I haven’t read of hers.

Film.

I love it!

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.