Sunday, January 27, 2019

Marnie - a yes


Rebecca was on the march to find a new tall pot for her kitchen, the Teflon on the old one having finally given up the ghost.

Friends have been saying that the only place to find large pots is at the thrift shops, for people are watching TV and divesting themselves of kitchenware they don’t need – especially the small appliances.

They are right.

The Salvation Army was filled with shelves of electrical appliances, but we needed something with tall sides and a bottom that doesn’t burn the onions as we try to caramelize them before creating some of the soups Rebecca makes. I loved a beautiful large frying pan, one that called out to me, “Take me home. I would be good for paella.”

But Rebecca was focused on one thing only which was not at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. We did stop in at a small Korean grocery store, since it is Chinese New Year and Duncan hasn’t had his fill of pork buns yet. Rebecca buys them, packages of 3, which 4 per package. The first time they were in the house, Duncan only got one before they were all gone.

People in a large family know, you see it, you eat it, it will be gone the next time you look for it. Duncan is hoping for a kindlier kindred, ones who can divide by the number of people in the house. But that just didn’t work with the pork buns.

 “Of course I took the last one. I thought they were going bad.”

“Yes, I had four and they were delicious.”

 So Rebecca thought that there might be pork buns in the Korean store. What we came out of the store with what was a case of Korean black walnut soy milk, 20 single pouches and 3 Korean pears, carefully packaged in clear containers that cradled them.

She went on to Winners to find large pots. I went to Marnie, the review of which you can find in the Guardian. I loved it. I found myself sitting forward on the edge of my seat, literally, in Act II.

Image from
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/met1819-marnie
Later that day I went to see Glass with James McAvoy, Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. All this, alone. Not even carrying a bag of popcorn. Which is really alone!

The reviews said it might be hard to “get” this film without having seen the series of films that precede it. I didn’t care. I thought I would give it a try cold. I think I got it.

When I got home Rebecca and Steve were watching Season 7 of Game of Thrones. “I have read all of the books,” Rebecca said when I asked why she was watching that specific series, “but this season goes beyond the books”, she continued.

I did hear her whisper during one episode, “Oh, I hope the dragon doesn’t die.” I must not have cared. In the next instant to me, Steve was poking me and saying, “You are snoring.”

How humbling for me. I thought I was still awake.

I went to bed.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.