Sunday, January 27, 2019

Peppers Bags

We're Local!
PEPPERS
When money becomes tight or when there is a big bill to pay, more than I had expected, I start trying to watch every dollar I spend. Every dime. I bend down to pick up a stray nickel in the mud.

The thought of being thrifty is in the back of my mind where I go.

In the house.
In my neighbourhood as I walk.
When I decide to go to movies or watch Netflicks.
When I have the urge to buy a chocolate bar that isn’t all that necessary.

Just watching every dollar that is in my wallet. I think about Churches Thrift Store. I fantasize that there will be some cookies left in the bag after the boys have finished their D&D games. There is not a crumb left. Just those little things that make life better. A cookie here, a chocolate bar there.

At any rate, I am walking in the mornings. I see two bags from Peppers, a local grocery story, a little upscale. We don’t shop there. That is why we have no Peppers bags. But groceries from the UK are on their shelves The food displays have only only perfectly formed fruit. No blemishes at Peppers.

I see these two bags by a bus stop. Peppers Logo.

The bags are empty. Curious, I think. I pass by them.

I see them every day as I walk for about a week in a row.

I am tempted to pick them up and carry them home, but I don’t. The bags are a little upscale for us. And perhaps the person who left them there is coming back for them, I think.

One day I saw one bag had blown round the corner and down 3 houses. Now I think the bags have become litter. I look around. No one watching me. I picked up the bags from the lawn.

Now I have one bag in my hand and I go back to the bus stop and get the other one. I carry them home. I feels as though I am doing two things: litter patrol and following the social l injuncture to reuse. I feel the same kind of joy that bending down to pick up a dime gives me.

I put the bags in the kitchen to wash them, kind of clean them up with a cloth. Before I get that done they have disappeared.

I ask Rebecca, have you see 2 reusable bags from Peppers.

She said, yes I folded them and put them with the other reusable bags to take back out to the car. I keep forgetting to take them to the car.

I take them out of her bag and clean them up with a damp cloth, where there is a dead leaf or a clump of dried grass.

I take the bags to my own room. I am going to use them.

I think about my savings. $1? Maybe $2.

For some reason I am please.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.