Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Call the Plumber

 

... a bee enjoys the dying bee balm ...
I was doing dishes, and the large Mason insert lid made an airlock between itself and the plug and I couldn’t get the water to drain. 

I tried to lift it with the tip of a knife. 

That didn’t work. I finished up my dishes on the other side of the sink, and hoped that Bonnie would wake up in time to plunge her hand into the other side of the sink before the water got cold and greasy. That didn’t happen.

I finished making apricot and white chocolate muffins (no apricot jam so I used raspberry; no white chocolate so I used chocolate chips). 

After our morning repast, where the muffin papers didn’t release all that well from the side of the muffins, we went after the sink. 

That would be Bonnie who went after the sink.

... new mullein grows under my deck ...
The internet claims both fresh and dried leaves
of this plant make good tea -- after straining.
First, she emptied out the water with a bowl, something I would have called the plumber to do. 

Then she got the last ¼ cup of dirty dishwater out with a sponge. 

She, too, went after the mason lid with a knife. 

She could see that wasn’t going to work. 

She said she could feel some wobbling of the lid, so there was hope. 

She looked for something thinner than the tip of the knife, and since she had been sewing last night what came to mind was a needle and thread. 

She found space for the needle to slide between the mason lid and the sink ring, but the needle didn’t have enough strength to break that seal. Next she took the needle, and threaded it through the gummy seal of the mason jar thread in the eye of the needle.

Out popped the lid.

As I said, I would have called the plumber, not the seamstress.

Arta

4 comments:

  1. We just bought a new plunger which is dedicated to kitchen and bathroom sinks. I have no idea why we didn't use it, since it is brand new and we have barely taken the store tags off of it.

    Oh well. There will be a next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a suction cup once from the back of the dishwasher scrubber. It worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie and I have been taking charge of our own house maintenance. And we hope to use the kind of tools you are suggesting. At the very least we are making lists of new projects that have to do with what is broken.

    Today we gathered together three more jobs: one that that involves gluing broken chairs, one where we will consider fixing the leg on a tea table that didn't survive some extreme weight, and the last will be figuring out what new hardware we need to set up all of the TV screens so that we have access to them.

    If we don't get all of these jobs done by next summer, we will have them in a corner in the garage for you to do in your spare vacation time.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.