Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Golden Age - Questions

I went to see the Shostakovich ballet, The Golden Age, and I don't know where to begin. 
I found a u-tube version of it last night and stayed up late to see the whole thing. 
But today I got to see it on the big screen. A big bonus -- all of that sight and sound. 
I was wondering what David and Bonnie talked about after seeing it. I would put the mood of the piece at the top of what there is to talk about.   
Lyuska and 2 comic figures
Here are my questions: 
1. First of all, David, I looked up The Tahiti Trot. If you click on the foregoing utube version of it, you will hear the music and get to see which instruments are playing which sounds. How cool is that. For five points, name the instrument that you hear doing a solo while you watch that small clip of the Tahiti Trot. If you don't know the names of the instruments, get your mom to help you.  And here is how that piece of music was composed.
After Shostakovich and Nikolai Malko had listened to an old 78rpm disc of Vincent Youman's "Tea for Two" in 1927, Malko bet Dmitri 100 roubles that he couldn't come up with an orchestration of the song, entirely from memory, in less than an hour. Shostakovich went into the next room and returned 45 minutes later, having made his own orchestration, and duly won the bet. In its new guise, the piece was called 'Tahiti Trot' and it was played at the 1997 Proms by the BBCPO.

2. For one point each, in the ballet, who are Rita, Boris, Yashka and Lyuska.  (Hint: fisherman, cabaret dancer, gang leader and gang leader's girl friend.)

3.  Can you name one place in the ballet where  you laughed or where you thought something amazing had happened?  That is for your last point.

And for a bonus point, Aunt Rebecca pointed out to me that people in Russia clap in a different way than we do in Canada.  Did you notice that, and if so, how would you describe it.

I would like to say that I admire your family for going to the opera and to the ballet together.  I think yours is not the only family that has that tradition.  I counted in our theatre to see about how many people were there, for I am sure you counted people at the Salmar in Salmon Arm, B.C.  Our theatre had about 60 people in it.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.