Friday, March 1, 2019

A prescription for a better life

Before my morning was over, I could tell I was in the middle of the best day ever. Here are my thoughts on March 1, 2019. I went to see Dr. Lam who performs western and eastern medicine, which means to me that I get another round of blessed acupuncture. He asked me specifically what I wanted the acupuncture for. I told him that when I was on heavy doses of morphine, you performed acupuncture on me for that. I couldn’t tell if it helped getting me off of the drugs, but my arthritis felt a lot better. So now I am back to him, hoping to get more pain relief from my arthritis, but if that doesn’t work out, I will take any kind of change in my health that happens for the better.

Then he asked again about if I can sleep well at night. The answer is like a log. He wanted to know if I feel any shortness of breath. I told him only when I walk too fast. He asked me if I used my nitro. I said I haven’t had a use for it yet. He asked me about depression and anxiety but I had to tell him I am having the time of my life getting older. I love each day. I did tell him about the left leaning path (real, not metaphorical) that I take because my left leg will soon need to be given a new hip, so he decided to concentrate on helping with that – those long needles going in lots of spots, then a warm lamp on that area, and the lights out.

As he was doing all of that, I was chatting, and he was answering back. We talked a bit about Jody Wilson-Raybould. Isn’t her name on everyone’s lips? He asked me what I think about good and evil in the world. I told him my thoughts. He asked me if I think there is free will, questions I have never had from my regular family doctor before. I told him I am a Mormon, though I don’t strictly hold all of their beliefs, I do choose to believe people have free will. I told him that even though I carry that positive religious belief, that Mormonism is also a 32 billion dollar corporation and I am mad at them for not attending to abuse that goes on their midst, etc. He asked me where I think there will be change. I answered that it is hard to say, since systemically we are trapped by systemic pressures, like capitalism. He said he thinks that it is the young who will save the world and not the old farts. He asked me if I had heard about certain political leaders, young ones in the US. I hadn’t. He asked me if I knew about the 15 year old European girl who went on strike for the environment and how that has mushroomed. I hadn’t. He spelled someone’s name for me. Finally the needles were finished and he left the room.

Dr. Lam's Prescription
Always when he comes back into the room, he tells me to keep my eyes shut for a while since the light will be blinding.  So I kept my eyes shut and he took out the needles and as he was doing it our discussion picked up again, for I asked him what religion he was. He said he is of the religion of the human race. I said to him, then you should join with the Mormons, for we feel that way too. When I hear myself say stuff like this, I am horrified. I have no internal brakes for my mouth, lately.

Anyway, he help me up and then gave me a prescription size piece of paper on which he had written some thoughts for me. 

And now I am going to share them with you. 

A handwritten prescription from Dr Lam after our talk about Jody Wilson-Raybould's outstanding performance under oath:
Look up:
- Greta Thunberg (15 year old Swedish school girl for climate action)
- Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez (USA Democrat)
- The Leap (Naomi Klein, etc)
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
Arta

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Dr. Lam. I haven't met you, but I have seen the wonderful prescriptions you have given to my loved ones. I believe one was "be kind to yourself." Did I get that right, Rebecca?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When a Dr. asks me to try something, I do. So I went home to the internet and looked up all of the names or institutions where he gives at his advice. I love getting into a relationship with my Dr. where he thinks he can prescribe something for me that will make my life better. That is what the medical system pays him for, and I am going to be his best patient and try everything he suggests.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.