Saturday, March 9, 2019

The Chocolate Chip Searchers

I see this tree growing out into the sidewalk
each morning on my walk.
Rebecca had some mint chocolate chips and passed them to me to be put in the cookies I was making for Duncan.

I was hesitant and she was adamant.

The boys loved them and when I made cookies again, the previous batch was still held up as the model that was perfect.

Rebecca looked for more at the store and couldn’t find mint chocolate chips.

Steve tried his hand at it and brought home a package that had a green logo on it, but the words were “milk chocolate chips” not “mint chocolate chips.

I had to get closer to prove to myself,
yes, this tree has grown right into the sidewalk.

Which came first?  
The sidewalk or the tree?
I looked for them this morning on my walk.

 I pass by Thrifty’s and Save-On, but of which open at 7 am, just the time I am strolling by their stores.

There is a big selection, and in Thrifty’s, one of the signs that is above the isles that I walk up and down, signing where a product will be, the words Chocolate Chips were up there as a major category of products in that isle. I found butter-scotch chocolate chips, sea salt chocolate chips, caramel chips, Skor chocolate chips, cookies and cream chocolate chips, chunky chocolate chips, 70% chocolate in chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, and mini chocolate chips. And more.

No mint chocolate chips. Rebecca must have bought the last bag in town.

I was alone on the chocolate chip isle. There aren’t many shoppers in the isles at 7 am. As I was looking carefully at every possibility I found myself straightening the shelves, bring products forward and realigning packages that had shifted. And at that point I knew to get out of the store and keep walking. No one pays a volunteer shelf stocker.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't matter how many times you tell me you have the tendency to organize, categorize, and line things up. I persist having the incorrect belief that I am the only one in my family who has these tendencies. When I read your post today about straightening the packages in the grocery store isle, I think it finally sank in. We share that trait. I hope I will also share your trait of notice, stop, and laugh about it later by the time I am 78 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have done that if there had been anybody else in the isle. But remember, it was 7 am and I was all alone in the chocolate chip isle. Some of the packaging was way back. The shelf hadn't been straightened. Maybe someone wouldn't find the caramel chips if I didn't reach way back and bring them forward. And it only took a few seconds. My way of beautifying the universe. I am thinking about Richard whom I heard say one day as he was looking around at his own house, "What is a two minute task I can do, for I only have two minutes." I laugh inside sometimes when I am standing at a telephone pole and there are now out-dated posters on it for events long gone. I think to myself, how many of these can I take down while I am waiting for the light to turn green. I must just be in my DNA. I hope you live to be 78 and that you give yourself permission as well. I will call myself after the Gorilla Girls in New York City. I am the Chocolate Chip Checker. Just to let you know, Rebecca kept up the hunt for the mint chocolate chips, checking three other stores that I hadn't visited: London Drugs, Walmart and Fairways. Oh, she spoils the boys who want cookies at this house.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.