Thursday, March 28, 2019

NT Live Performance - Die Walkure

Greer Grimsley and Christine Goerke in
Wagner’s “Die Walküre” at the Metropolitan Opera.
Photo: Richard Termine
Wagner's Die Walkure is showing on Saturday on NT Live.

I am going because I can.

A privilege and especially because I know so little of my Norse gods, of their heroes, their heavens, their interactions with mortals -- al of this on stage with me knowing so little about what is going on.

Still, I am going because I can.

Here is a review from OperaWire.

There is a review in the New York Times.   (March 26, 2019.  I can't see it because I have gone there more than 10 times this month without subscribing.  I get there and click before I even know it, so I am sure 5 of those shouldn't count.  Anyway, do go there and take a look at that review.

Here is another review from the Emily's New York Life.

That is about as much homework as I will be able to do before the show.  I did see a very old review that said this opera can be summarized in three sentences.  So here they are:

1. Siegund and Sieglinde fall in love and elope
2. Fricka coerces Wotan into killing Siegmund
3 Wotan punishes Brunhilde for tryig to save him

I may try to refresh my memory with more.  And in fact, I did go out and read some of the lyrics last night.

In the worst case scenario, I can just go cold and enjoy Wagnerian sounds.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. Hello Arta - this is Emily. Thanks for linking to my review of Die Walkure. Just a quick comment: Die Walkure/Wagner's Ring is actually about the Norse Gods, not the Greek ones.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.