Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Online Sunday School - Week 11

March 10 to 16th

Tanya Talaga also wrote
Seven Fallen Feathers
 I was to read up to page 100. I didn’t quite make it there, but along the way, I had in mind child abuse, since that was the main focus of what I did read. I was writing in the margins, words like “tragedy” or sentences like, “Who was running this program?”, with the answer: the church. 

There is no doubt that the government had offloaded its responsibilities to organizations that were incapable of making education work. Sometimes these reading seems like a heavy weight from the past. I also was keeping up with Sam Young’s campaign from Texas to protect the children. Here we are in the 21st century, still seemingly unable to protect children.

At any rate, tonight I will finish up that 100 pages and know that I have 10 more to go for next week.

Along the way this week, I have been reading the UofA Faculty blog. I like their focus this week: child welfare which seems to go hand in hand with what I am reading in the Final Report of the TRC.

As well, this week I read Cole Harris’s “Voice of Disaster: Smallpox around the Strait of Georgia in 1782” from Ethnohistory, Vol 41, No4 (Autumn 1994 pp 591-626).

Indigenous Women’s Sovereignty 
in the Sonoran and Puget Sound Borderlands, 
1854-1946 (The Lamar Series in Western History)
And I finished Tanya Talaga’s All Our Relations: Finding the Path Forward. (CBC Massey Lectures).

And today I attended a fabulous lecture by Katrina Jagodinsky who has just written a fine book published by the Yale Press called Legal Codes and Talking Trees

Her talk was about legal strategies adopted by 6 indigenous women in the Puget Area in the Salish Sea between 1854 and 1946 -- basically pre confederation to the end of WWII.

I am going to miss all of this extra enrichment to my life when I go back home at the end of the month.

Next week: read pages 100 to 110 of the Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Volume One: Summary

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.