Sunday, March 24, 2019

Online Sunday School Week 12

March 17, 2019

I felt the flush of shame today as I read pages 110 to 120. Sometimes that was mixed with horror. What I thought I would say if someone asked me about these pages follows.

1. The last line I read this morning was “The residential school system’s shameful inability to protect students from … victimization, even from among themselves, represents one of its most significant and least-understood failures.” (page 110 of the Final Summary) That sentence amplified the preceding 10 pages of reading. Such atrocities: little respect for the burial of the dead; caregivers abusing children; student bullies abusing children. Yes, significant failures and as a settler, I still have little understanding of the history of these years.

Volume 5
On the bonus side for me, Rebecca ordered volumes V and VI for me to read and this week I received them in the mail. This morning she said to me, “You had better put your name in those so someone else doesn’t mistake the volumes as theirs.” That made me laugh. I don’t know that many of my friends have these books. I probably wouldn’t have them except that she led me to them.

Next week for online Sunday School Reading: pages 111-120 of the TRC Final Summary. The chapter continues with 2 sub headings.

The first is Sports and Cultures: “It was a relief.”

The second is titled “Resistance: I am the Father of this Child”.

The Necessities of Life (2008)
I have also watched a film about moving the Inuit who were sick, down to Quebec where they could be healed in hospitals. 

The film is called The Necessities of Life (2008) narrated in French and English.  

The film is set in 1952. We see the protagonist who knows how to read and write Inuktitut being transferred far from his loved ones to a French-speaking community where he can't communicate with those who will be taking care of him.

I would recommend seeing the film as a way of supplementing the TRC Summary Reading.  Not that anyone is running out of material to read.


Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.