Friday, October 18, 2019

A reverie on A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Last night Rebecca, Duncan and I went to see the taped live production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream transmitted from the National Theatre to 635 movie theatres around the world.

Duncan seemed to have a perfect memory of the synopsis of the plot and updated me a few hours before we went. I didn’t have time to look for any reviews online.

Had I done so, I might have deepened my understanding of what I was about to see, though I am not sure that would have heightened my enjoyment.

Photograph: Manuel Harlan
Gwendolyn Christie as Hippolyta
So like me to read the review, just a little too late.

But not so late that I didn't get to enjoy what The Guardian had to report through Michael Billington after the fact.

 At the end of the first act I was still in my seat laughing, long after other people had gone out to enjoy their intermission break.

I couldn’t see how the second half of the play was going to match the fun of the first half. A half-time interview with the director, Nicholas Hytner, was instructive about what to look for in the second half of the play. The gender-switching of the dialogue was seamless.

On the way home the car was filled with conversation. And even into today, Rebecca was saying to me, “Did you see the gold lamé tights on the arielist last night?” or “How about those cross-gendered high heel shoes?”

We told Mary we were going.  She said she had looked for it to be playing in Lethbridge but such wasn't the case.  Rebecca and I have noted the same phenomena in Victoria.  It is a mystery as to which of the shows will be shown and which will not.

If there is an Encore, I will be there.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.