Sunday, October 27, 2019

Picking up the Pieces

Carey Newman and Kirstie Hudson

I am trying to read my way through all of the volumes from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

This might take me until my birthday in 2020, although I did read 100 pages in Volume 5: the Legacy this week.

I am going to count that as preceding at a good pace to my goal.

I am giving myself a break sometimes and reading other books by Indigenous authors. 

Picking  Up the Pieces: Residential School Memories and the Making of the Witness Blanket is a book I just finished. 

Of the book, Amazon says,
Picking Up the Pieces tells the story of the making of the Witness Blanket, a living work of art conceived and created by Indigenous artist Carey Newman. It includes hundreds of items collected from residential schools across Canada, everything from bricks, photos and letters to hockey skates, dolls and braids. Every object tells a story.
I treasure the moments that I spent in the book.  Indeed, each object tells a story and there is a picture of some of the objects along with their stories in this book.  I could not stand in the museum and look at this piece, as long as the hours I spent making sure I connected with the objects and the stories by reading this book.  I don't have that kind of stamina any more.

I was also making imaginary plans to go to Winnipeg to see it -- oh, plans in the category of the plans that can be made and then set aside because timing doesn't work out.  However  I am adding this to my list of things I will do this if the opportunity comes up.

I like that list of hopes and dreams.  You know that old saying, a man who is tired of London is tired of life?  My saying could be a woman who stops dreaming of something she wants to do next is probably dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.