Thursday, October 24, 2019

Sooke Spruce Salt

... my gift of Sooke Spruce Salt ...
I am curious today about Sooke Spruce Salt.

Spruce Salt was one of the gifts I received when I attended the ceremony that marked the agreement that will cover the protection and use of The Witness Blanket.

As I said, I am curious now about how to use spruce salt.    I went to the internet and discovered I can make my own spruce salt in the spring – about late May but I must watch the trees for the new buds.

The blog showed me a picture so that I can recognize what those little buds look like, and yes, I have seen their beauty, sometimes even going over to a spruce tree to touch them.

The blog Homespun Obsessions tells me that I am to gather the new tips of spruce trees, then crush them, dry them and mix them at the ration of 1:1 with salt.

To test the taste out, I have been using an old method I use with new spices: put a small amount on the tip of my tongue and then savour the taste of that spice, trying to build a memory of it in my head.

For today, I have my Sooke Spice Salt beside my computer, trying to think about that citrusy taste on my tongue as being associated with a spruce tree. And when I warm up my sweet potato tonight I am going to sprinkle some on top for a new culinary pleasure. In the days to come, I will try sprinkling the spruce salt on eggs or meat or vegetables.

Thank you Carey Newman.

And if anyone is interested in seeing a 4 minute video of how someone does this, they can see a you tube video starring Joe from Minnesota.

3 comments:

  1. I have misplaced my spruce salt and rebecca has misplaced her dried mushroom powder. I have looked all over for them, which is to say a lot as in, yes, I know they are missing.

    Last night Rebecca told me to call off the search. We are going to find them in a small bag, hanging from the back of a chair, or in a container underneath some papers we haven't processed. The reason we knew the mushroom power was missing is we went to add some to a soup Rebecca has been making and we have been loving.

    What I love is that we have put both the salt and the mushroom powder right into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find them! I received dried nettles as my gift. i wonder how many different dried plants were in the bags...

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.