Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Whose Turkey is This, Anyway?

"Let it rest for 2 1?2 hours."
That's what Gordon Ramsey told us.
1. Alex said that he wanted to cook something he had never cooked before and asked if I would help him. After going through a list of possible recipes we decided on trying to cook a turkey, something that has never been done in the Carter-Johnson household.  Now that is an astonishing record.

2. Rebecca went to the store, but I am the one who scooped up the $.98 a pound turkey, one per customer.

3. Steve said he would eat the turkey in soup, but that he brings with him an idea from long ago that turkey meat is dry is we can probably count him out on the turkey adventure until it becomes delicious soup.

4. Duncan took me to the internet to show me his favourite youtube video on cooking turkey – done by the famous British Gordon Ramsey who makes getting under the skin of the turkey and placing a mixture of butter, garlic, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil there take just a simple matter of a few seconds. As well the video shots are punctuated with a lovely blue Christmas ornament hanging from a tree, bringing with it all of the softening of even the crossest Christian soul while watching it. As well, Duncan took me out to hear his favourite renditions of “Auld Lang Syne” and “Silent Night”.

5. I picked up a tin-foil turkey roaster from Save-On on my early morning walk ($3.50). I also checked out the price of a Master roasting pan at Canadian Tire this week (regular $49 to $10). I don’t have a car to go get it, I felt compelled to look at the price, should Rebecca want to make an investment but why should she want to starting cooking turkeys now.  Life is too short.

6. I filled the cavity of the bird with an onion, the two lemons left over from zesting them, tied up the legs and placed 5 strips of bacon along the top of the turkey.

7. Rebecca helped take the meat off of the bones after the turkey had rested.  Sheput the carcass in a crock pot to produce soup. I drained whatever off whatever was in the turkey roaster, strained it and reduced it in a pan, just as London Chef Gordon Ramsey had done.

8. When the adventure was over Rebecca and I didn’t need to eat the turkey, we were so full from picking away at the meat on the bones. Yum. And the answer to whose turkey is it anyway? Well, it was Alex’s idea, but by the number of days that it took me to buy and cook it, Alex had turned into a vegetarian.

PS  Cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving was easy since I only did the turkey -- none of the trimmings.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading both turkey posts as we had Indian food for Thanksgiving ourselves but I love turkey! my favorite juicey turkey was cooked by Ron for the last Thanksgiving with my Grandmother Nadiene. He put it in a brine for 3 days. I have never had such a delicious mouthwatering experience with turkey before of ever since. Fingers crossed he wants to do it again one day. You will be invited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the international students upstairs in my house used to do turkey by brining it I agree with you. A brined turkey is the best. I used another method -- rubbing salt under the skin and leaving the turkey for 24 hours and then putting spiced butter under the skin when I was ready to cook it.

    I think not as good, but still better than other turkeys I have cooked in my life I am looking forward to doing more turkeys. Maybe one at American Thanksgiving and then a couple before Xmas. I can't resist when they are $.99 a pound. And I will probably not even get into anyone's kitchen to do any of the above.

    Rebecca still doesn't have a turkey roaster. There were some on sale at Canadian Tire but I didn't get there when the sale was one. I guess if person has been married for 25 years and they still don't have a turkey roaster, they don't really need one. I only think she needs one. She doesn't.

    Re the Indian food for Thanksgiving? What a treat. The next time I go stay with Bonnie Wyora in Salmon Arm I am going to cook more Indian food for her. I love eating it out on her porch and looking at the view of Mount Ida. You know, I still don't have one of the nice tin pans to knead the bread in, although I can find a substitute.
    About buying one?

    I have to ask myself, does a 79.5 year old need one when she spends not enough time at anyone spot to really use it. And it is not the kind of thing I can carry in my backpack.

    I was counting up today where I want to go next after I leave Victoria -- a place no one ever wants to leave.

    I want to spend many weeks in Lethbridge, many weeks in Montreal, many weeks in St. Albert, many weeks next door to Richard, and I want to take a plane trip to Winnipeg to see The Witness Blanket at the Museum there. Maybe I can convince Wyona and Moiya to come along on that trip.

    Thanks for reading, Kerri. I think I will probably keep blogging until the day comes when I can't put a sentence together.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.