Sunday, October 20, 2019

A Second Read of the Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Volume one: Summary


As well as doing some reading today, 
a deer captures my attention on
my walk this morning.
I set out to read the Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Volume one: Summary for the second time.

I have been using it as my Sunday School text for the year, self-assigned, reading about 20 pages a week, and giving it a close read with my scented coloured markers and a pen and pencil for extra markings in the margin.

No eraser.

I slowed down through the summer on the reading, giving myself time off for vacation and I thought I would pick it up in the fall, but here I am in late October and see that I have only made it to my August goal.

The deer backs up as I get closer.
Today, I spread my books out on my bed and arranged my bedside table, here in Victoria, so that I could do some serious reading.

I was set up in Rebecca’s office today, but Alex came down and asked if he could have the quiet study room to work on his university courses today.

 I am not going to say no to a request like that.

Afterall, I am only reading.

I picked up my reading at page 334, half way through the "Calls to Action", at about #84, Media and Reconciliation. Who but me underlines and draws pictures in the margins while reading those Calls. On a roll and finishing that section, I came to what is usually the end of a book. After all, who reads all of the Appendices? I didn’t read them the first time through the book. I did today.

By the time I get in the picture, the deer is already
to the front steps of someone's home.
I am too slow, getting my camera out.

But I am fast with my walk.  
7,000 steps in an hour!
Appendix 1: The Mandate of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

I would probably have made a good lawyer because I like reading Terms of Reference and never-ending paragraphs about the Establishment, Powers, Duties and Procedures of the Commission, etc.

When I finally finished off with the 14th category, Budget and Resources, my appetite must have been whetted for more, for I went on and read Appendix 2.

Appendix 2: Canada’s Residential Schools. A few paragraphs described which residential schools were in the Residential Schools Settlement Agreement (IRSSA). Then all of the schools in Canada were listed, 9 pages double columned. I read the names of every Alberta school and then skimmed the other provinces. I read the names of places I have never been and some I have never heard of. Not to be stopped, I went on to read Appendix 3:

Appendix 3: Persons Found Guilty of Abusing Residential School Students. Only cases that are finished in the court system are listed here. I studied the names here, carefully written here, the names of offenders, the school, the conviction, the sentence, row by row. I did it out of respect for the brave people who brought their claims of abuse forward. A heart-breaking testament. I am glad I took a look at where this is in the book and know that it is there.

Appendix 4: Apologies. I would have had no idea I was wanting to press on. I guess it is good to read ahead when I have created a plan. It is even OK to get behind. I as making a mental list of the number of apologies read in the House of Commons: Prime Minister Steven Harper; The Honourable Stéphane Dion (Leader of the Opposition); The Honourable Gilles Duceppe (Leader of the Bloc Québécois); The Honourable Jack Layton (Leader of the New Democratic Party). And then came the church apologies. I won’t list them. But I was curious about the “voice” I was reading, since the apologies were essential about the attitudes of racial and spiritual superiority had brought to Indigenous people. But since the tone would change from one apology to another, the reading was really interesting for me.

Appendix 5: Honorary Witnesses. A few of the people in this list I have met. A few more I know because they are often in the media. And then I wondered about those on the list whose careers I know nothing about. I was wondering what they had done to be asked to be on such a prestigious list. Finding that out is a task for another day. And on to Appendix 6.

Appendix 6: Commission Staff and Contractors. Of course I read through this. I am thoroughly geeky grandmother. I was thinking about the cost of paying all of these people and I was at the same time, so grateful for their work because it makes reading this report so enjoyable. And they also listed people who had given them Pro bono assistance. Now that made me smile. I like the idea of free. Even in the corporate world, free is good.

Bibliography. I resisted picking up my pen and underlining the titles of books I would like to read. I went through both the primary and the secondary sources that are listed. How about the title, The Doctor Rode Side-Saddle. I would want to at least flip through that book. Or how about Thomas Crosby and the Tsimshian: Small Shoes for Feet Too Large. I will never mock anyone who reads bibliographies in order to find good reads for themself.

Meet the Commissioners. I approached this section thinking about the day I read Mary Johnson say, “I just love The Honourable Justice Murray Sinclair.” Here was a few paragraphs that might make me find out why she would say that.

About the Publisher. Yes, I even read that section.

The Index.  And I looked at the Index, carefully unfolding a page were the press had caught a corner of the paper and turned it under. My fascination with indexes is because it is possible to self-publish a book and Word has a programme to help the beginning publisher make an index. Having done some of those, I am curious about the layouts of a professional index.

By now, I think only Bonnie Wyora will still be reading this, since I am pretty sure she is looking at the Volume One: Summary,  as well.  Rebecca's book has colours all over it and writing on every page.  I doubt I am going to get to know my book that well.

This didn’t take me long to read, today, Bonnie. I think the quote that went into my heart is on page 339: “Reconciliation is an ongoing individual and collective process.” Instead of being cross with my church because they are lagging behind on their Calls to Action, I have just decided to do my part working by myself. I will join with the Latter-Day Saints when they begin a collective process for their members.

I could have read more slowly, Bonnie, stretched my reading out, but Rebecca purchased Volumes 5 and 6 for me. One is entitled Reconciliation. The other is Residential Schools. I decided to read those before I get the 2 Volumes from The Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Inquiry.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. I read to the end. and I love it that you read the appendices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to read between the lines in the appendices is fascinating. I am sure I am going to pick up the summary and go to the bibliography and underline the title there of every book I wish I had time to read. Maybe I will even turn that into a blog post.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.