Friday, October 4, 2019

Tough Love: The Political Theory of Civil Disobedience

Rebecca and I planned our day around going to a lecture this afternoon -- a Colloquium on Political, Social and Legal Theory.

Rebecca brought the requisite paper home for me to read which I obediently did -- I got through 2/3's of it before being interrupted with another task.

I took beverages to the lecture:  one diet Dr Pepper and one Zero Coke, just in case the presenter was't up to keeping me awake.

Half way through the lecture I was surprised to put down my note-taking pen and realize that so far I knew all of the hard words the professor was using.  Then I picked my pen up again and kept taking notes.

Rebecca introduced me to many her colleagues who were there.

I don't know if a good time was had by all, but I enjoyed myself.

Details below:
Alan Livingstone

Damn Great Empires!
Date: Friday, October 4th, 2019
Location: Fraser Building Room 152
Dr. Alex Livingston, Cornell University

Alexander Livingston is Associate Professor in the Department of Government at Cornell University. He is the author of Damn Great Empires! William James and the Politics of Pragmatism (Oxford University Press 2016) as well as numerous articles and chapters on issues of dissent, race, and religion. His current book project, Inventing Civil Disobedience, examines the theory and history of nonviolent direct action in the long Civil Rights movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.