Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Books to Have

I am trying to economize, because I am saving money to go to court with.  When I am with a person who is not economizing, I try to live vicariously though their shopping experiences.  Now Rebecca and I couldn't find The Report published by the Commission for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls. 

I wanted my own copy so that I can do a close read and a marking of the text.  Rebecca and I went to the University Book Store to each get copies.

No copy of that was available there as well.

Author: Elliot Porter
While we were at the bookstore, she had another book she wanted to buy but before asking where it was, we went to the book cart of used books which is at the entry to the bookstore.  Books on that cart are $2 for the small books and $5 for the large ones. Unsorted by category but books people in college might want to buy. Both of us began to pull off books from the cart: 

The Birth of Western Civilization: $5.

Birds of North America: $5.

Spirits of the Water: Native Art Collected on Expeditions to Alaska and British Columba, 1774-1910: $5.

We also found some treasures for $2 which we put in our arms.

The book she wanted to buy was Indigneous Repatriation Handbook: Prepared by the The BC Museum ad the Haida Gwaii Museum of Kay Lingaay.  Full Price

A few more books went tucked on top of her arms and the bill was $200, and that is with the 15% discount she received at the till.

I looked at the pile of books and told her, "I am having some anxiety. How am I going to read all of these before I leave Victoria."

She said, "Sometimes books are just to have, not to read.

We haven' forgotten our original goal which is to get a paper copy of the Commisiion's Report. I guess that will have to be a subject for another blogpost.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.