Friday, October 4, 2019

On seeing The Joker

LtoR Rebecca, Duncan, Arta and poster for The Joker
Duncan, Steve, Rebecca and I had fabulous IMAX seats tonight to see The Joker (2019) directed by Todd Phillips.

I had scoured the internet looking for reviews which are probably being held back while the movie gets some time in the theatres.

The best I could do is refresh my memory about some of the characters:  Arthur Fleck, Murray Fraklin, Thomas Wayne for a few.

The four of us had no trouble doing our own critiques of the movie on the way home: what Duncan thought was fabulous, what made Arta uncomfortable, where Steve found allusions to other Joker films and how Rebecca saw the music fitting into the show.

I cannot say a good time was had by all.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. We also went and saw the Joker. There are many unconfortable parts however brilliant character building as I genuinely felt so deeply for his character and all that he went through that shaped who he became. It really reminded me that we need compassion with everyone as each has their own issues. It saddened me for sure! I would see it again though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex missed out going with us. But there were four adults from this house who went and we had long discussions afterward -- I think all told we might have talked about it on the drive home and then for one hour and then for a half an hour and then off and on during the week. A troubling depiction of what the human condition might look like.

    I thought it was a clever film for it was late in the show when I began to wonder which of the sequences were only dreams for him and which were meant to depict his actual life, if I can say that a fictional character has an actual life.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.