Monday, October 21, 2019

On the Way to K'ómoks

... a blanket that was a gift to all attendees ...

Now my job is to use the blanket and to 
carry on witnessing what I heard and saw that day.

This past week, I have had some days when I thought that the moments have been so rich and profound that I hardly know how to process them.

I think that is what is taking me so long to write about the following daytime up the east coast of Vancouver Island. I did go to Comox to witness the ceremony between the Human Rights Museum and Kwakwaka'wakw artist Carey Newman (Hayalthkin'geme) who was making a contract with them about the art installation called The Witness Blanket. Others might have read the news release which I published a few days ago just gathering information out of it. When I read it, I cried. That is because those few words captured all that was happening in the five hours we were there.

The adventure began with 5 women in a car, doing the 3 hour drive there and then the 3 hour drive back – destination?

Comox in the rain.

We sang for a while – sometimes interesting songs we liked to do with children. Tara provided a new song I  didn’t know. “We are going on a picnic.” I can’t even replicate her version on you tube though I tried and found many other melodies.

We figured out the song using Solfa Method of Sight Singing and we knew how to identify and when to sing augmented fourths in other tunes. We also discussed everything seeing Al Simons behind stage at a festival to the latest Shakespeare to be seen on NT Live.

We talked for a while about an assignment Jess Asch was to turn in. We mostly listened while Jess provided a summary of what she wanted to say. Her assignment was to be 300 words. We listened and we asked questions and we wondered how she would synthesize all of her ideas into a few paragraphs.

 We talked about the upcoming election, about our hopes and dreams that it will lead to a more just political system.

We stopped to fill up the van and to get snacks. In my experience, purse are usually already filled with snacks.  But not for these women.

This is the first time I have ever been in a car with adults where the snack stop was an important part of the journey.
... detail of the edge of the blanket ...
... a design that is found in the Human Right's Museum ...

As we entered the Malahaat Highway there was an overhead electric sign saying “Watch for water pooling on the road”. When our car hydroplaned, that is when someone said, “Oh, that breath-holding experience is what that electronic sign was about back there.”

There was pretty much silence around the sign on the highway that said, “Hitchhiking is illegal. Picking up hitch hikers is illegal.” “What is that about”, I asked Rebecca.

“It is easier for the government to put warning sign like this on the highway, than to provide accessible transportation for people between the cities in northern British Columbia,” she said.

We used our google maps to find our way to Kumugwe, the K'ómoks First Nation Bighouse, and to make a very sharp right to get into Wendy’s for coffee and more snacks. The right turn was so sharp that we entered their exit road instead of the entrance to the mall. Now that was a sharp right.

Five women in a car, 300 kilometers each way.

We couldn’t have had more fun.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't matter how old you are, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9 year old was given $100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Unknown,

    You really made me laugh. I like it when I hear myself laughing out loud and you really made me do that. I think I feel most alive when I hear laughter and I know it is mine.

    Now I even want to tell you more about the snacks. I think part of the stop may have been about refreshing people's coffee, but all of the women seemed to be hungry as well and we needed gasoline. I was not interested in snacks so they ran in while I washed the windows of the car and Rebecca filled the tank up.

    Before I got back into my seat I went around and checked everyone's snacks to see if any of the snacks were really interesting. Maybe in retrospect, that was kind of rude, but I couldn't help myself.

    Everyone was willing to share some of the contents when they showed me what was inside of their bags. But who on earth picks pepperoni sticks for a snack? Brutal! No sharing for me.

    On the way back home things were even worse. This time the stop was at Tim Horton's. Not drinking coffee has its draw back. A loss of community, not wanting to hang out at Tim's line ups.

    Since there was nothing there I wanted, I slipped over to the Dairy Queen by myself and bought a sundae with two toppings: hot fudge and cherry. Next time I will order a smaller size.

    Maybe I will and maybe I won't.

    I can never remember to say medium when I want large.

    The only time snacks=$100 is when I am at Costco. I have cleaned out the candy isle many times there with a $100 bill and more.

    One more things about snacks. I think the best person I know for bringing snacks for a road trip is Wyona Bates. But that would be a subject for a whole post. For sure she always brings a cooler filled with ice and soda pop (and extra pop to add as cans are being consumed, so that drinks are icy cold at all times).

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.