Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Arta on "The Blaxploitation Cylcle"


[ARTA DICTATING THIS POINT TO REBECCA]

I noticed on facebook that the cineplex is offering 40 free movies, supporting the politics of #BlackLivesMatter. 

It is a little complicated for an older adult to get to these movies.  You have to make a facebook account, and then you go to the cineplex website, and then you click on the movie "as if" you were buying it.  Then you choose the option of paying $0.  Then they send you a receipt for the purchase. 

When my computer was still working, I tried this.

I watched "Just Mercy."


I also went to one of my old film text books and read chapter 24 (which we had skipped when i was taking that class), called "The Blaxploitation Cycle" (page 184).   I had been interested at the time both by the title of the chapter, and by the fact that we skipped it.  And now, I have read it.

On to a different but related topic.  When i took a class on Arab films, the professor gave us 10 movies we must see, and he gave us 30 others that were recommended but not essential for the class.  I watched all 40 (and made Kelvin come along with me).  I cooked Arab or Persian food on those days.

Now, I intend to do the same thing with the Black films.  I have already seen Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing".  I have seen Hidden Figures three times (since I was helping Duncan with an essay).  I've read Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye, and so know the movie will be difficult to watch, but that I will be able to do it.  I cannot, however, do all of this on my phone.   Coriolanus was a test of capacity, and I will wait for my laptop (or as i think of it, one of my "aids for daily living").  I paid more for the laptop than I ever paid for any car i have ever bought.   Not sure if that says something about the value of the laptop, or of my choices of car.  I do know that I was always the last person to have driven a car before its final trip to the junk yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.