Sunday, June 21, 2020

Steven's thoughts on Father's Day

Len getting on the train, heading off for WWII
[Rebecca posting for Steve]

Thinking of my Dad today.  I can hear him speak to me daily;  ‘King, Country, Duty, Honour, Family, Empire’ was heard on a daily basis.  Financial responsibility and repeated lessons of the hardship both my Mom and Dad faced going through the depression.  

He was 61 and I was 21 when he died.  We had a fight the night before, who knows about what, does it really matter.  

Verlaine being lifted up to say goodby to Len
At now 58 and approaching that 61 marker, it would have been nice to have had a conversation as adults and parents rather than Dad and boy.  

Fathers Day is always a hard day for me as I never really knew his opinion of me,  but it always gives me pause for reflection to realize that he was really not such of a bad guy that I thought he was looking through the lens of a 21 year old.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Steve for your words about Les. I am a late-comer to the biopic, Mr. Rogers, with Tom Hanks. I only watched it tonight. It has given me food for thought about where our allegiances lie and how hard it is to see through them, or around them, or over them or accept them. I agree with you that Father's Day can be a hard day. Our roles in life, so complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking at these photos. Thank you Steven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked carefully at the pics as well: the different hats -- some of the men had pom-poms on their tams, and other hats looked like they had flaps that pulled down. I looked at the buttons on the coats. And at Verlaine being lifted up. My best guess is that we don't see Len's face there, just his companions looking out the window.

    I wondered, too, if there was an army photographer there, taking parting pictures.

    I guess only you know the back story, Steve.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.