Sunday, June 14, 2020

For Father's Day - #10 The Pool Table

We had a pool table. When Uncle Loran had no more use for it, it came to our house. Green chalk, a triangle for billiards, the 8 ball. I wonder why I didn’t play pool.

Men played pool. They seemed to enjoy it. I couldn’t get a kick out of holding a pool cue in my hand or brushing chalk on the tip of the cue before taking a shot. Or loosening my wrist and smoothly running that cue back and forth a few times before letting the cue strike the ball.

Was it the camaraderie around the table the gathered boys and men down there? Once Ramsey Walker told me that as a youth he was dying to play pool at our house. He asked Doral if he could come and play pool on Sunday? Doral said, “You do what you think is right. “

I wonder what would have happened if Ramsey had come over at pm Sunday at 8 am and played until 8 pm, (taking a break to go to church, but that would be the only break) believing that this would be a way of leaving behind his daily labours as the scriptures suggest to do on Sunday.

Probably Doral would have done nothing, … but laugh inside.

But Ramsey wouldn’t have known that.

I didn’t like the game of pool when Doral would have to go get new tips for the cues, spend time gluing them on, grumbling about “you kids for knocking them off”.

I could never figure out who was the “you kids” group, collective blame for mistakes and accidents made by men and boys while playing pool, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.