Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Nicest compliment ever

Today one of my long time mentors called me a Lamed vovnik.


























I think it was perhaps one of the most unusual and thoughtful compliments I have ever received.

"The Jewish legend of the Lamed Vovniks describes thirty-six righteous men in every generation upon whose merit the world is kept from entire destruction. Based in part on the story of Abraham and his conversation with the Lord about the destruction of Sodom in Genesis 18, the Lamed Vovniks are those who, by virtue of their compassion for others and the prayers they offer, cause the Lord to answer, “I will spare all the place for their sakes” (Genesis 18:26)." Taken from The Legend 

"In Yiddish folklore, Lamed Vavniks are bestowed with mystical powers and emerge from the shadows whenever disaster threatens the Jewish people. Once the threat is averted, they return to anonymity."

HMMMMMM.  Not sure if I fit the bill, but now I am on the lookout for these important persons.

"Who are the Lamed Vovniks? We may not know. They may not even know themselves. But wherever they are, we can be assured of this: They lead. They comfort. They teach. They protect. They are filled with compassion. They are the very best among us."

If you want to learn more click here

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing. From my experience I would say you do fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the introduction to this legend as well. I am always looking for the Three Nephites. Now I have to keep my eye out for the 36 Lamed Vavniks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you think about the teaching that the Lamed Vavniks retreat to anonymity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your picture a selfie, Catherine? Or did someone else capture this shot of you? What are you listening to on your ear phones?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.