Monday, June 29, 2020

Last Notes on a Midsummer Night’s Dream

The Fairies swinging above the audience:  beginning of Act II
While rewatching A Midsummer Night's Dream, I became interested in the Pyramus and Thisbee play-within-a -play this afternoon, wondering if we could stage it this summer with the kids out on the front lawn.  

I don’t know if this is true, if they would like to make this play, or one out of their own imaginations. 

At one point in the dialogue the play is touted to have only 10 words of dialogue.  The mini-play does have some fascinating parts:  the casting scene, the practise, and the performance.

And if that doesn’t interest the kids, maybe just the names of the fairies will delight them:  Peaseblossom, Mustard Seed, Cobweb and Moth.  The trick for me will be to remember the names when I want to pull them out of the air.  Not that I am unable to think of alternative fairy names.  Sometimes I just like to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.