Sunday, June 21, 2020

For Father's Day - #13 The Coin Game

Goal of the Game
Move two coins at a time that are side by side and in
four moves go from the picture above,
to having the coins side by said as in picture #3 below.
The 
Coin 
Game

This game is played with money, four coins of one amount and four of another.

So that could be four pennies, four nickels, or four nickels, four dimes or as illustrated, 4 loonies and four toonies.

Picture #2
Here is a hint.
The first move might be take coins 2 and 3,
and move them to the far end of the line.
Then figure out which 2 coins to move
 to take their place and so on
When they were lined up, Doral would say, skip the first coin, take the next two coins, move them to the end.

Then move any two coins into the opening left when you moved the first 2 coins, and so on until the coins go from four nickels, then four dimes, to alternately nickel, dime, nickel, dime.

He would demonstrate, and then leave me to my own devices, to figure out how to do that.

But he wouldn't leave me alone.

He would sit there and watch and then when I couldn't figure it out, he would demonstrate for me again, maybe starting at the right side and going to the left, the next time, and so on.

When I would ask to be shown how again, he would start at the left edge of the coins that were lined up instead of the right edge, just to keep me on my toes.

Pleasant hours, trying to figure out how my dad could remember all of these games.

And here is what I was looking for, all the coins to be alternating, as below.

Picture #3
Now the coins are alternating,
and this was accomplished in 4 moves.



2 comments:

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.