Sunday, June 7, 2020

Zoom Church – Calgary, Montreal, Czechoslovakia

 I zoomed into Montreal this morning at 8 am and Catherine connected Eric, Thomas, Rebecca and me to Catie who was in Czechia and speaking in an stake church sacrament meeting. Someday this might seem like a normal thing to do on Sunday morning. Today it feels like a miracle. There was an option this morning: we could listen in Czech or with an English translation.

Zoom Church Screen Shot

Can you see Catherine's face just peeking out of her frame
And I am underneath, dressed up for church in my new red coat
Afterwards Catherine, Eric and I chatted about how technology impacts different people in different ways.

Eric said some people are zoomed out, complaining about this technology. They are so tired of working this way that to add it to connecting socially is just too much.

He said other religious communities aren’t using it at all.

He thinks, if the technology is there, then use it, as we saw from Catie this morning.

Catherine was wondering if it is because no one has a Zoom account that goes over 40 minutes? Or are these rural communities where people are out on the land and not accustomed to these technologies. I have siblings who are just topped up with a full life. Already they can’t figure out with where the hours in their days are going with other projects. And I have to keep remembering that I am 80 and I am going to have some losses until I can’t access all of this technology, just because I will be older and unable. There is such a group.

This morning, I listened as the radio commentator discussed other worries about the loss of community in the entertainment community. He mentioned that he liked to go to National Theatre when it was broadcast, so long before the pandemic there was a move from the stage in London to the screen in Calgary as we sought interaction with sophisticated productions. Many theatre goers were embracing stage-to-screen technology ten years ago.

I am curious about the creative ways Mormons are keeping their religious communities alive. I am curious on a third level as well. I want to watch how the church as a corporation manages social change.

I think about my own life. I get newsletters from my ward; they have published their 14th issue now. I get emails from the stake. In one of those communications, Andrea Hudson gave links to church music, and I spent some time checking those out, figuring out why someone would want to use those, or why not?

I even went out to The Centre for the Latterday Saint Arts and looked at the supplement to this week’s Sunday School lesson: a painting of a grey and brown weathered barn. But that took me to David Dibble’s website, where I saw a whole series of derelict barn paintings and I got to think a lot about why a painter would do such a series and believe that his faith is represented in them. And I got think about what this painting might have to do with the lesson.

I read blogs from the Exponent, Sister’s Quorum, Wheat and Tares and other odds and sod when I have a question and links take me here or there. I am spending more time with zoom church and its related reading, than I spent when we had a more regular meeting schedule.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.