Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Rally: The Lethbridge United Against Racial Discrimination (GUARD)

From Mary

We went to the Black Lives Matter rally in Lethbridge last Thursday orgainzed by Lethbridge United Against Racial Discrimination (GUARD).  It was amazing -- difficult and wonderful. I have no clue how many people were there: more than I thought would come in Lethbridge. That was heartening, all ages, all backgrounds, with signs. They had organized speakers from 3:30 pm to 7 pm.

The 11-year-olds (Rhiannon and a friend) last an hour, then I too. I took them home and came back. Naomi and Xavier found friends from their school so they were fine. Leo and I stayed until 6 pm, but the other kids stayed through the rain in the early evening, and called for a ride when the rally was over around 8. There was a variety of speakers: people of colour, Indigenous people, telling stories of racism – so touching that they were willing to tell their stories.

Volunteers walked around handing out water, granola bars, fruit snacks. Just about everyone wore masks and were social distancing. I kept thinking back to my first rally, probably a Take Back the Night Rally. I remember marching in the street with my mother and other women. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.