Friday, November 22, 2013

Mushrooms

the question is ... is this structure of fallen trees stable?
The forest looks different in the winter.

We went to explore it during one of our walks.

I can’t count the nature walk as daily exercise because the pace slows down when there is so much to look at.

 ... only a partial trunk left ...
The trees have lost their leaves.

I can see deep into the forest.

I look for the wild strawberry plants that will come to life in the spring.

... up by the highway ... a cut line going down to the water
Tiny strawberry leaves are green.

I can spot them now in the places I shall look in the spring.

I have seen them ever since Doral pointed them out to me – and that was 55 years ago – when I took my first walk to the top of Pillings Road.

...Pouria is interested in the portabell-sized mushrooms ...
We stumble across so many clumps of mushrooms.

I want to examine some of them.

Soon they are in Pouria’s hands.

We all spread our fingers to see if the mushroom was bigger than the area of our hand.

We try to capture the beauty in a photo, but the mushroom is so light, it looks like a light artifact - a flying saucer.

I cannot figure out why the camera can't capture the details of the mushroom's underbelly.

I take another picture.

... examining the gills ...
We go back to Glen’s where he brings up a taxonomy chart of mushrooms.

We try to find out if the ones we had gathered are edible.

Glen states that his favorite mushrooms are the ones you can buy in the store.

Safer to eat, he says.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.