Monday, November 25, 2013

Nativity Sets


Mary comments that she loved the nativity set(s) when she was young and used to re-arrange them.

I did too.

I liked to have more than one set at a certain period of my life -- that was when I had children around.

figures so small they fit on an 8 " piece of glass
Wyona brought me one back from Malaysia – a beautiful hand carved wooden set with a stable that easily collapsed.

Moiya made one for me when she began to work with her jigsaw.

That one was simple.

made by Moiya with her jig saw
sign with a nail through it says No Room
the arrow which is out of the picture
points the way to the stable
I used to love the sign that said the inn was full and there was an arrow pointing the way to the stable.

My trip through Moiya’s house reminded me of how much I loved (and still love) the story of the Nativity when it is in the physical form that children can touch and move around..

She has one nativity that has a little card on it that says “olive wood” so I knew that one had special meaning.


The Flight to Egypt
Moiya also has a small standing figure of the flight into Egypt, something I never had.

Whenever I look at it I remember the song, Lo, How a Rose Ere Blooming.

And then the phrase from another song pops into my head, Herod the king in his raging / charged he hat th this day / this poor youngling of who we sing / all .... to slay – and ending on a pierce de Picardy chord, I think.

I can hear the chord in my head right now.

white sign by angel says OLIVE WOOD
Until I started to write this, I hadn’t really thought about how much meaning we invest in the icons that remind us of Christmas.

Moiya has a new nativity.

Why?

She gave away ½ to ¾ of her decorations a few years ago.

... from Malaysia ...
But she purchased a new one. So cute, she couldn't help herself – I will post some of the little faces around it.

And she came home from Relief Society – a super-Saturday, raving that some of the women had done a puzzle.

The miracle of the puzzle is that when it is together, it is just a picture.

When you take it apart, it stands up, each piece, to become a nativity.

purchased half price after Xmas
looked like it was from Russia
says made in China on the back
Now how cute is that.

my personal favorite... but not a choice for all
On Moiya’s counter she also has some dough figures – the baby in a crèche.

She isn’t putting them on her tree.

“Too old,” she says.

“But that is the charm,” said Wyona.

Yes, getting out those decorations and letting the kids move them around?

That works for me for Christmas.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. That wooden set from Malyasia is the one that stands out most clearly in my mind. I spent a lot of time arranging that set just so. I notice in your photo though that the original baby Jesus is missing. You have found a good replacement.

    Like Moiya, Cathy has a beautiful olive wood nativity that she bought on their trip to Jerusalem. If I ever go to Jerusalem, I will buy onen too. Leo sometimes works with olive wood in his woodshop. I love the look,feel and smell of it. Not surprisingly, it is a pretty oily wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moiya has some beautiful decorations out in her house. Her children and grandchildren are fortunate to have Christmas with she and Dave.We had some great meals with Moiya and Dave this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at Moiya's for pulled pork, topped with coleslaw on a bun.

    I was at Moiya's for pumpkin soup and red velvet cake.

    I was at Janet's when she hosted all of us -- a smorgasbord of beef from your house and roast vegetables Janet and salads from Moiya.

    Doral was right when he used to tell us .... just walk from camp to camp, home to home and there is no chance of dying of starvation.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.