Thursday, November 28, 2013

Rogers Bulk Food Store

Rogers Bulk Food Outlet
Moiya and I headed down to Armstrong to pick up some bulger she had ordered for me. I have no idea why I needed her to order a case of bulgur. I am retired. I don’t cook anymore. I have no large family around me. I only have two recipes that are keepers for bulgar. One recipe is tabouli and really, how much parsley and cracked wheat can Kelvin and I eat in a month.

I like the multi-seed bread that uses bulgur (the recipe of which is out on the food blog). But it is dense – like an energy bar. So do I really need a case of bulgur for 2 recipes?

The adventure was in the drive, down 97B to Armstrong, then down Larkin Road to the Rogers Bulk Food Outlet. Five clerks were in the isles, helping people to find products they needed. One woman was handing out a cranberry cracker, the recipe for which was not to be given out until the December 5th class – 35 women only. Moiya signed up. I wish I were going with her, but I will be back in Calgary.

... to the west of  Rogers Bulk Store, the sun dips below the horizon  ...
The highlight of the whole trip was a stop at the Askews in Enderby. Askews is celebrating its 84th Anniversary – cake and coffee one day, beef on a bun the next day, etc.

It was cake day, but 6 pm by the time we got there and only 3 pieces of cake left.  Askews had been serving cake all day.  The man ahead of us took one piece.  He kept the knife in his hand, since there was no one there serving the cake by then, and he used the knife to scrape up the extra icing around the sides of the container that held the cake.  

I was anxious to get at my piece, but he kept the knife and after spreading one side of the cake with extra icing, he turned it over and did the same thing on the other 2 sides, so that only the one un-iced side stood on his napkin. Five other surfaces were iced  Moiya was ahead of me in the line and she poked me in case I had missed that.

 I saw a man who knows how to re-ice his cake and eat it too.

Arta

2 comments:

  1. How could you drive to Armstrong and not go into Sutherland's Bakery in Enderby. Greg and I drove to Kamloops yesterday to pick up a radio for Glen. Just love Sutherland's Bakery. Beats baking yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Just to let you know Moiya and I did stop at Sutherland's Bakery. Not everyone stops there for sugary treats. They also serve up gas at the cheapest prices in the valley, which is also a calling card.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.