Thursday, February 20, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #4 Blanche Fisher Scoville

I don’t have a lot of images in my mind for my Grandmother Scoville. I would want her to be in my list of 80 precious memories. She died from leukemia when she was 54 and knowing that fact and then watching my mother die at the age of 55, I came upon the idea that I would die when I was in my mid fifties as well. No one could have been more surprised than me, passing through 55 and still be well and able. As I have moved through the intervening years, I have often thought of the early demise of my mother and my grandmother, and tasking myself with living my own extra years for both of their lives. It is pleasurable to live a day doubly, well, one half for Wyora and one half for Blanche.

Blanche had long hair which she would braid and then coil to the top of her head.

This image is of her striding along the street and being captured by a street photographer, a job that entailed catching a photo of someone walking along the street and then handing them a card, telling them where they could go in a few days to look at the image and then buy it if they choose.

This was a popular way of catching a snapshot in the 1940’s and ‘50s.

Why seeing this image of her is important to me, I don’t know.

Perhaps because I saw so little of her, knew so little of her. She was a widow in her young forties and still had 6 children at home when her husband died. The Raymond Sugar Company paid her $50 compensation for his death. Yes, I didn’t ever really know enough about her.

Still, I am curious.  What do you think she has clutched to her side, under her left arm and I wonder if I have her eyes?

Arta

5 comments:

  1. I think she has a hat under her arm. Look at the other women in the photo - they all have hats.
    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is funny Ria. I thought it might be a pie pan, but one would only clutch one of those under one's arm in the kitchen. I am going to take a few more photo and put them up -- these street photos. And you can bet your bottom dollar, all of the women have hats on. My Grandmother Edna Pilling is probably going to be the next one.

    I used to wear hats in the early '60's. I will always remember one black one which was in the shape of a pirate's hat but was to be worn horizontal to the face, not logitundinally. I wore it to the graduation ceremonies at the Grande Prairie Junior College. Someone afterward who knew me came jup to me and said, "I said your hat from behind and I just had to come up and see who was wearing that. I should have known it would be you."

    Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wore a black hat to my graduation ceremony for by Bachelor's degree. Thank you for coming to that, with such short notice. I didn't mention it until the morning of ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten wearing a black hat to your graduation ceremonies. We both will remember what made that hat memorable. You searched the audience looking for me and couldn't find me. Of course you were looking for someone with platinum hair. All of that hair was hidden under the hat, so of course you didn't see me. But I was sitting there in the audience, black hat and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this photo. She looks full of purpose. No nonsense. This is the first time I have ever seen this photo. When I think of Blanche I will imagine a stoic woman who just got down to work and did what had to be done. I'm not sure if that is true, but that is what I imagine from this photo.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.