Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Mary Working from Calgary

Mary is doing her work remotely, either from Lethbridge, and now from Calgary for two weeks.

She lifts my leg onto my bed, she picks up the phone for the appointments that are being made to come and see me by the physiotherapist who manages my case, and by the health care worker who comes by twice a week, and then Mary picks up my left leg again and gets it onto my bed.

I think I am doing an enormous amount for work.

I do physio exercises 3 times a day; Mary puts the Polar Ice Machine on my hip which ices the wound left from inserting the new ball and shank in my leg.

I also have to elevate my leg above my heart as often as I can, though I must go back to the prodigious amount of reading material I have to see how often I have to do this. I do remember giving a big red star to that point in the literature for it is one of the great healers: getting the blood pumped back to my heart. That along with lots of water, and care, lots of care as I walk.

Now that I am through the operation, I have had the courage to watch one done on-line. I can choose a 6 minute or an 11 minute or a half hour youtube version of what happened to me. I went for the medium version.

As well, I watched “The Docs” tell me what to do post-surgery, and got another lesson from “The Physio Guys” online. All this does is back up what The Bone and Ankle Clinic at South Health Campus have already told me in their 3-hour teaching lecture before my surgery, and what was told to me in my two day stay at the hospital. All have agreed, get out of the hospital as soon as possible and begin healing at home. So as soon as the physiotherapists give people the go-ahead, then the home work begins.

I am done watching the health videos and am on to watching Amazon’s special, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”.   I have to finish the series before Mary leaves, and while binge watching anything is not on the doctors to-do-list, I do not want to be left in the dark as to how the series will end. Though I know full well, these “series” never really end.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.