Sunday, February 23, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #7 Miss Avis and Grade I

This is Lorna Hughes, my best friend in grade school.
No two girls played paper dolls more than we.

It was from her mother I learned to make hollyhock dolls.

I also tried my first cigarettes at her house.
I got in a lot of trouble for that.
Miss Avis taught me to read.

She had a large pink pig on a piece of oversized cardboard and the visual sat on an easel.

Each day she put a different vowel on the pig as its tail.

I didn’t think those vowels looked much like pigs’ tails but I did catch onto the concept of vowels.

One day in Grade I Miss Avis tricked me.

On the worksheet I had to do the following: draw a blue boat, draw a black cat, draw a yellow sun. Then one of the questions was draw an orange.

I was stumped at the last direction.

I didn’t know what colour I should use on that fruit and I didn’t dare ask her, so I sat for a long time until I figured it out.

I will never forget how hard that question was.

Arta

3 comments:

  1. David zoomed in on the text under the photo. He laughed and said, "that's good."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear David,
    I am telling a lot of things out here that I might wish I had just kept quiet about! On the other hand, look at all the good info you are gathering, just by reading the fine print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David read the posts out loud to us since he wasn't hungry yet for dinner. He's back on his own computer now, gaming with some friends, so he won't see your reply until dinner tomorrow. He also smiled broadly at you saying you will never forget how hard that last question was. I think he too has experienced such questions in his life.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.