Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Good Parking at Costco

You can always get good parking at Costco if you go on a day when Costco is closed, which is what happened to Wyona, Chelsea, Zoe and me today.

An empty parking lot? Greg had asked Wyona if Costco weren’t closed today.

Zoe Bates and Arta Johnson, shopping at Winners
She told him they are only closed on stat holidays. I guess Family Day stands in for a stat holiday now.

We were saved by the fact that A&W was close by and that Zoe had her coupons with her. 

Zoe always has coupons with her, so we sorted those out, enjoyed the darling wire trays that the French fries are served in, and the icy beverages, before we headed in to Winners.

... Chelsea, the sonnet woman ...
I enjoyed the lunch specials a lot because I had a chance to interview Chelsea Bates about the courses she is taking.

 How about English 252.2 – specifically the sonnet.

“Are you kidding,” I asked. “You must get to look at sonnets from every time period! What is your text book.”

Falteringly she said, “The Norton Anthology of Poetry. Is there such a title.”
“Oh my gosh. I can hardly wait to get my hands on that book,” I said. “Know any sonnets yet?”

“Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” she says in almost a whisper. "That is the only line of that sonnet I know."

Yes, … thou art more lovely and more temperate … I had forgotten how quickly those lines can come back to a person.

We had a lovely afternoon at Winners, though the poetry discussion was even more fun than shopping was.

Chelsea and Wyona shopped for some winter clothes for school, enough that Chelsea doesn’t have to do her wash so often. At least that is what she wanted.  Enough clothes to last until the next wash.  Wyona knows how to get 25 items in a cart and be off to the change room to help get those clothes on and off someone else's body so that trying on clothes is not so much of a chore.

Zoe and I went up and down the isles of Winners as well – Zoe buying some French meringues. And I got carried away at the Easter decoration isles.

“How can they continue to make so much cute stuff for Easter,” I asked Wyona.

“Yes,” she said, “and our job is to get home and get out all the stuff we already have, so we don’t continue to buy more."

They dropped me off at home and I began to pull out my Easter decorations.

As well I came inside to look for Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18 which I just had to read again.

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer’s lease hath all too short a date;
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature’s changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st;
Nor shall death brag thou wander’st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st:
     So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
     So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.