Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Ice Cream, Games, Cheese, Lego

Alice figuring out hr next Azul move
I haven’t seen Miranda’s kids for what seems like a long time.

Tonight they came over after school, maybe for an ice cream bar but when that treat was over they were ready to play games.

Since I just purchased the Chinese Checkers board last month, I want to play that game – use it enough times that the price on it will come down to $1 per use.

That is my goal. Michael likes to win – so between us there is a chance for reaching two goals, simultaneously.

Betty just likes to play any game. She has no idea if she is winning or losing and in fact she doesn’t care. Some of the jumps she makes are spectacular ones that have nothing to do with the rules.

Alice had to wait until we were finished so that we could start the second game: Azul.

We had closed that game down yesterday after just opening it up, so we were anxious to take it away from there.

The bonus about this game is that the counting of points is done at the end with one grand flourish, and by the time we get there, Betty, again, doesn’t care about the points and since they are hard to calculate, by the time we find a pen and paper, the girls want to start the game again – no desire, it seems to have a winner proclaimed.

Castello Tickler
Michael voiced what all of them were interested in: a second snack.

I brought out the speciality cheese in the fridge, having nothing else to offer.

I don’t really like cheese myself. But when it is on sale at Costco, I can’t stand to miss the really good price. This makes my fridge always full of cheese.

I had no idea that they would eat the Castello Tickler: Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese from the United Kingdom.

But they all agreed – it tasted better than the Swiss cheese which they declared “sort of tasteless”.

I wouldn’t think people under eight years old would have a taste for the sharp cheese.
Betty loves the new pink caboodle,
now a repository for extra Lego pieces

I have three pastel glasses – probably in a different world they would be called shoot glasses.

I just call them small glasses.

They love to pour on ounce of Mango juice into the glasses, drink it, then pour again, drink it. I am always expecting a big spill. One doesn’t seem to happen.

When Mary was here, she had resorted the Lego and put it in individual buckets with their names on it.

They were so mad that everything had been resorted until they found out Mary had done it and then Betty went into long sentences about how wonderful the new packaging is and how she just loves the new pink tote the Lego is in.

 It is hard for a grandmother to win when the aunts are so spectacular.

Arta

5 comments:

  1. This made me laugh so hard. So, so hard. They weren't around when I put all the lego away so I had to guess.

    And everything about this post is so familiar from when i was visiting to help out post-hip surgery -- who needs to win (Michael), who loves doing the scoring (Alice) and writing it down on a paper, who just doesn't really care (Betty). And the snacks. They are always my favourite as well. Rhiannon was my kid who loved sharp cheese. That always surprised me. And it make me mad that she wanted the eat the expensive cheese, ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what it was that might have made you laugh. I I think it is that when the kids come into the house, they bring with them, three larger than life agendas which one single person (me) just can't manage, and even two of us couldn't deliver. So much intensity in an 8, 6 and 4 year old. Yesterday there was the packing around my new 2 wheeled walker than needed to be taken out to the black recycling bin in the alley. I told Michael he had to do it, since he is the one who had enjoyed hacking it into smaller pieces. He just said, "Come on, Alice, help meet get this outside." And she just ran for her boots and gathered up pieces and marched out to the alley behind them. I can never tell when they are going to cooperate with each other or when they are going to argue about who made the wrong move during Chinese checkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they will come in the summer to the Shuswap Table Top Club on Fridays from 5-8pm at the public library in Salmon Arm. They will be the youngest members if they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even think of telling Michael about this. He is going to go wild with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps he will follow the clubs growth on Facebook with you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.