Monday, February 3, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Days

#16 On Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. I didn’t know that this commandment could really be a problem for a teen-ager, but it was for me.

How holy was I to keep it.

Go to church and then go to a second Sunday Service in another ward?

Did keeping the Sabbath Day holy mean no shopping, no swimming, no movies.

Nothing that cost money?

Marilyn, Else and I did find a scripture that said keeping the Sabbath day holy meant visiting the sick.

So we would go down to the General Hospital, look at the list of Latter-Day Saints who were in the hospital, and then go from room to room, introducing ourselves and cheering up, (we hoped) the sick.

I wonder now what people must have thought.

Well, there you have it.

My teen-ager take on keeping the Sabbath Day holy. To extrapolate a bit on awards associated with attendance at regular church meetings, when I was in my teens, the boys were offered a set of scriptures and a trip to Salt Lake City if they would have 75% attendance at their Sunday Meetings and 50% attendance at the one weekly meeting. Marilyn, Else, and I were 100%-ers, but being of the wrong gender, we never got a copy of those scriptures, nor the trip.

We did, however, make a lot of hospital visits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.