Friday, February 14, 2020

A Wedding: Alicia Bates and Tommy Marceau


February 14, 2020
Alicia and her father, Teague Bates

In Medicine Hat, Alicia Bates and Tommy Marceau exchanged vows today, Valentine’s Day.

That will be an easy anniversary date for them to remember.

Wyona and Greg went a day early to the wedding and stayed in a hotel.

Joining them in hotel and on the drive from Calgary were Marcia, Art and their family, Tim, Lurene and their family, and Tonia.

I couldn’t go to the wedding, but I did enjoy the photos that Tonia put up on Facebook.

Trying to find a celebratory note myself, I was looking though a book of nursery rhymes and decided to find some about weddings.

I am going to teach them to Betty.

All of them are rhymes that I do not know.
... family band for the wedding ...

Not to say that I haven’t read them to children before. I just haven’t put them to mind as I shall now.

And by doing so, I will think about the Bates/Marceau wedding that lead me to teach these to Betty.

So here there are:

       ~ ~ ~

Fiddle-de-de, fiddle-de-dee.
     The fly shall marry the bumble-bee.
They went to the church, and married was she:
     The fly has married the bumble-bee.

       ~ ~ ~

“Where are you going, my pretty maid?”
     “I’m going a-milking, sir,” she said.
“May I go with you, my pretty maid?”
     “You’re kindly welcome, sir,” she said.”
“What is your father, my pretty maid?”
    “My father’s a farmer, sir,” she said.
“Say, will you marry me, my pretty maid?”
    “Yes if you please, kind sir,” she said.
“What is your fortune, my pretty maid?”
     “My face is my fortune, sir,” she said.
“Then I can’t marry you, my pretty maid!”
     “Nobody asked you sir,” she said.

       ~ ~ ~

A cat came fiddling out of a barn,
     With a pair of bagpipes under her arm:
She could sing nothing but fiddle cum fee,
     The mouse has married the bumble bee.
Pipe, cat—dance, mouse,
   We’ll have a wedding at our good house.

Not being able to go to a wedding, doesn’t mean there aren’t lots of good ways to celebrate the event, and I choose rhyme and a small child – dear Betty, with the hope that this won't seem too hetermormative.

Arta

If you want to see more pics of the wedding, visit the Facebook page of Tonia Bates.

And here are Wyona and Greg dancing to the band as it warms up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.