Thursday, February 27, 2020

Eight Memories for Eighty Years: #11 Melted Cheese and Gallons of Ice-Cream

Melted cheese and ice cream have nothing in common, except that they are important parts of childhood memories about what I thought good food was.

As to the cheese, Doral would buy a whole round of cheese in Glenwood.

I can remember the cheese cloth casing and the rind of the cheese and having one huge pie slice cut out of that round before our very eyes.

More importantly I can remember Doral slicing the cheese and then putting it in the cast iron frying pan to melt.

When the cheese was warm and its oil would glisten on top, he would take big spoonfuls and put them on a slice of bread or even better, toast for us.

Oh, that was heavenly.

As for the ice cream, Doral would go down to the main office of the dairy and he would buy 2 ½ gallons of ice-cream.

Further, he would get the 100 package of ice cream cones. He would buy Tiger-Tiger around Halloween.

Chocolate,
or double chocolate, or Dutch chocolate, or chocolate swirl,
or chocolate sauce on chocolate ice cream.
For me there an never be enough chocolate ice cream.

When he bought Maple Walnut my mother was so happy – her favourite kind of ice cream though it was down pretty low on the rating of good flavours by the kids.

I think Doral like Cherry; the younger people in the family picked those cherries out, much to his dismay.  The best part!

Neapolitan was the favourite for the kids since there was a chance in that bucket to get one of the three flavours that a person liked.

When there are a lot of people, there are a lot of differences about what the best flavour is.

 We ate ice cream in cereal bowls and even today that doesn’t seem strange to any of us.

In my childhood, I could walk downstairs and get an ice cream cone anytime I wanted to have one.  I don't think this is a phantom memory.  It really happened.

Sometimes I would find a large spoon or the ice cream scoop right in the ice-cream, left by somebody before me who didn’t want to walk back upstairs with it.

A big yes to a childhood with melted cheese, and ice-cream as staple food items.

11 comments:

  1. Cherry is one of my favourite flavours too. I can remember you telling me the story of your dad frying cheese and I remember doing it in Calgary in my high school years to try it out. I think I just liked to eat it straight up, no need for the bread underneath. It was perfect if you could get just the edges crispy. I recently made cottage cheese chips by frying globs of it on a pan (in an attempt to make a low carb vehicle for dipping). They weren't my favourite. I'll stick with a good old cheddar and just eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, ice cream is meant to be eaten in the biggest bowl in your cupboard. I am very fond of eating it out of a mug. Then your hands don't get cold holding the bowl while you are eating it while reading in bed (or watching netflix).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always bothered that a little bit of the ice cream starts melting around the edges of the bowl before I can get to it. I was thinking that I should put the bowl in the freezer first, but then as you say, I wouldn't want cold hands either. You know the soup bowls that are flat, meant to cool soup, rather than the ones with high sides, meant to keep in the heat? Well, I don't like the flat soup bowls, and having my ice-cream spread out. I like a bowl with high slanted sides. But in the end, I just like ice-cream no matter how it is served.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... I could eat ice cream many times a day, and never tire of it! Jane

      Delete
    2. I like to try the unusual flavours, but I am careful about which ones. Lately we had a good one with cherries in it, which I usually don't like. When the choice is only vanilla, chocolate or strawberry, I always take chocolate.

      Delete
  4. Mary? Speaking of favourite flavours, and speaking of ice-cream. I know many people don't like that D Dutchmen ice-cream. Too much cow, some say. But that brand, when the flavour is sour cherry? Oh my gosh! Ambrosia by another name. (to be purchased at the D Dutchman Dairy Outlet in Sicamous, B.C. for the uninitiated)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura DeThorne introduced me to Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia flavour and it has been my favourite ever since. It has cherry-flavour ice cream, red cherries, and chunks of chocolate. Life was better for me when David had not yet given it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of curiosity, did you ever leave the scoop in the bucket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I didn't usually leave the scoop in the bucket. I usually left a large serving spoon in the bucket.

      Delete
  7. Ice cream anytime you wanted? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am incredulous with that memory also of ice cream anytime I wanted it. So I checked with some of my other siblings. They have the same idea that the ice cream was always available. It was, however, downstairs in the freezer and a person had to make the trip down there to get it. That slowed the lazier kids in the house down.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.