Friday, February 21, 2020

Eighty Memories for Eighty Years: #5 The Move to Vancouver

When I was 5 and our house at 1235 16 St Street was still under construction, my father sent us to live with his parents in Vancouver. We lived at 2850 Gilpen Road, a place that had a small copse of trees to one side of it, and there must have been a place for a cow, for my grandfather went out to milk one at night.

I spent many sleepless nights there. My brother, Earl, had thrown a stone through a neighbour’s window back in Calgary, a neighbour of my Grandmother Scoville. I knew he was in big trouble. My bedroom in this Vancouver house faced a lake and on the other side of the lake was the penitentiary. 

Many nights I stayed awake , seeing the lights of the prison and worrying that someone would soon be coming to get Earl.

In my baby book is a ticket to a Vancouver Ward Building Fund Part.

People were trying to earn funds for a new building.

The party was to be held at the Pillings.

The ticket promises a Garden Party from 4 – 6 pm, supper from 6 pm – 7 pm and dancing from 7 to ?.

As well there is a promise of the game of The $64,000 Question, Crystal Gazing, a Fish Pond, Palm Reading, a Prize Waltz and Bingo. I suppose some would argue that we can still get those things at church. The ticket for the party was $1. That would be $13.50 in today’s funds.

I am sure the Palm Reading would have been worth the price of the ticket alone.

Arta

5 comments:

  1. Imagine if that palm reader had told you that you would travel the world and collect hundreds of scarves. It might have sounded like she was only spinning a yarn for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just started reading Michele Obama's book, "Becoming". She says in it that as a child she never imagine she would live in the White House for 8 years. I think on reflection all of us might have some lines on our palms into which we could read amazing things. I think for me, one of the most wonderous moments of my life was sitting there in Guilin, having supper in a street market, the waiter bringing out Chinese food for us -- the fish beautifully laid out on the platter, its head still on, the warm breeze wafting down past us to a lower altitude, looking up and seeing those mountains that painters from all over the world have tried to capture the beauty of -- that moment I could never have imagined.

    And many more ...

    And hey, you made me laugh, pointing out that I might never have imagined having many scarves. I do buy them when I see one I want and often I even use them. In fact when Alice was over on Saturday, she tried to climb across the bed and get one to wear. Her dad held her off, I don't know why. When she comes over next and he isn't here, I am going to have to take her in there and see which one she chooses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it is your best silk one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to read through the whole post to figure out that you were talking about the paragraph just above this one -- the one where Alice wants to wear a scarf. Alice hasn't been back yet, at least not looking for a scarf, so I may have to wait out seeing what she chooses.

    When the kids come over they do like to use the stemware I have. Other adults sometimes tell them no, but I tell them use.
    And Rhiannon taught them to hold the stem of the glasses with two fingers and stick the baby finger out like evil people do in movies. This makes drinking out of those glasses even more alluring. So far, no breakage. And when the glasses do break, I will just go out and buy more. What could be more fun than practising drinking out of your grandmother's goblets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just laughing about this line. "Many nights I stayed awake , seeing the lights of the prison and worrying that someone would soon be coming to get Earl."

    Oh the silly worries of a child. (Lol)

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.