Tuesday, February 25, 2020

More on the Double Feature (the fun of Knives Out)

Arta and Wyona getting seated for
Dear Evan Hansen

not a double feature, but two acts
which sort of counts as something double 
I learned to love double features back in the 1940’s and 50’s when just about every movie house had a double feature.

That is how we saw movies. There would be the feature and then a B movie that accompanied it.

As well, it didn’t seem to matter what time the show started for me.

I just walked in, and then did the full cycle until the movie came back to where I had walked in.

When Wyona said we would be doing a double feature last Thursday, I wondered how that was going to go.

She said it just doesn’t make sense to drive over to the theatre twice, so she bought tickets for Knives Out and for Cyrano de Bergerac and we were going to see them both.

I asked her why she choose Knives Out. “Lots of famous people in the show, well known actors,” she said.

I did look up the plot and a few reviews.

I didn’t get the spoilers, and I had read a review in the far distant past on Knives Out – probably when it first came out. A mystery. I never choose to go see who-dun-its.
which

I would probably choose anything else.

Wyona believes in the full theatre experience: popcorn, drinks, snacks and settling in to using more than one seat if the theatre is not crowded, as ours wasn’t. Our coats on one seat, our bags sitting on another. There couldn’t have been 20 people in the whole room. That probably would translate into15 seats each at the very least, so it wasn’t like we were taking someone else’s spot.

I thought we might not be able to make it through both shows without one or the other of us napping. That just didn’t happen. Snacks. Drinks. Popcorn. Lots of room and two movies back to back. How can retirement be better than this. As well, Tonia joined us for Cyrano. What was fun in that second show, an added benefit was to hear her giggling, sometimes even guffawing. I wonder why hearing a companion thoroughly enjoying the show enhances the whole experience for me. Yes. I like to go alone to movies. But having her there was delicious. A good time was had by the three of us.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of having a home day today, this Interntional Womens day, but now I think I shall go see a double feature. Thank you for the reminder of how fun that can be, and even more so with good friends.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.