Sunday, February 28, 2021

Clyde Forsberg (1957 - February 27, 2021)

Photo Credit: Doral Johnson

Doral sent me a picture of his bookshelf, Clyde's volume, Equal Rites,
sitting between taxing choices and Voltaires Bastards.


My friend, Clyde Forsberg, passed away yesterday. I met Clyde in about 1981 when he was a student in Religious Studies at the University of Calgary. 

He was in a Sunday School Class that Kelvin and I taught and though he lived out of town, he made the trip to our class and then stayed for dinner and then into the afternoon and sometimes the night. 

Our children came and went as the discussions with him about religions topic continued.

When Doral sent me the side picture he said of Clyde, "His book sits on my 'favorite books' shelf. So sad to hear of his passing."

Bonnie is going to post Clyde's bio from the university page, probably the best way to get at who Clyde really was.  

I spent a long time pouring over it ... like an academic journey with Clyde.

Once Kelvin and I took a trip with Clyde down to the Seattle Sunstone Conference to hear him read a paper there. On the way back, we slept overnight at one of the cabins at the Shuswap.  It must have been fall or mid-winter because when we turned on the heaters to warm up the cabin, flies came out of everywhere.  I was horrified.  I was apologizing.  Clyde said, "Are you kidding?  This little cabin is a mansion."  

Which it is.

I was honoured to read some of his work before it went to the printers.  I could rarely find a comma out of place or a place where there should be a set of italics.

Yesterday I was wondering what it would be like should God meet Clyde.  Even he might tremble.  Or maybe just be thrilled to receive his handiwork home.

Arta

1 comment:

  1. Clyde, your passing has been like someone dredging my soul. Lots of happy and hard memories surfacing.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.