Thursday, February 4, 2021

On Peeling Chickpeas

All of the stars lined up for making hummus. We have the tahini, the lemon juice, the dried chick peas, a blender, and a hot pot. I don’t know who people have made hummus for years without all of these appliances. Alex is eating vegetarian these days so I thought he might like some homemade hummus. He likes to eat everything fresh, (that would be not out of a can), so Rebecca bought some dried chickpeas. Third, Rebecca has a hot pot. I have wanted to buy one. I think Richard and Miranda have gone through three. I thought this would-be good time for my first lesson, so I put the chick peas through Rebecca's pressure cooker.

After 35 minutes the chickpeas not only came out cooked, but little skins that were on them had popped off. Rebecca reminded me that in the video we had seen together, the teacher explained that there will be a finer hummus if all of those skins are picked off. I’ve read that before, but when I have looked at the chickpeas that came out of a can I have thought, I'm not doing that. Period.

Now a gentle brush over the chickpeas removed lots of those skins and I was left with 10 cups of chickpeas to make into hummus. That's a lot of hummus.

Rebecca and I watched a video, one that had two million hits and now the cooks were updating their hummus making it even better. 

I watched the method and started as they said blending lemon juice with the tahini paste until it was yellow and fluffy. I finished and made a second batch, this time adding half a jar of sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil.

The product has been so delicious that we pulled out the vegetables again at midnight and had a snack then, which everyone needs. What were we thinking of, except of the fact that the hummus was really good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.